Monday, November 15, 2010

Sonic composition

Tomorrow we're off once again to the 930 but this time it's to see the band Grinderman and I can't remember the last time I've looked more forward to a show.

The same members of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds form this band but unlike the Bad Seeds this band seems, musically at least, under the direction of Warren Ellis, the bands guitarist/violinist, etc. Whereas all contribute to the Seeds and Grinderman and Cave has dominion over the lyrics for both my sense is that Ellis makes Grinderman's final decisions.

The thing that grabs me about this band are the sounds and what they evoke. For example, the piano being slammed on the lower register on "Get it On" from the first record just chills me.

Grinderman is predictable sounding music without being predictable in the least.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hand over your own subjective musings. Do it. NOW!